Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield provides managed care to 12.6 million residents in nine states, as of March 2011: Connecticut, Colorado, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, and Virginia. Anthem also has several affiliates nationwide that provide auxiliary services.
Anthem’s corporate mission is not only to provide accessible, efficient, and friendly health care, but also to encourage its members to stay healthy at all times. Anthem BCBS has built up a large network of physicians and hospitals, and offers services such as dental and life insurance, for just that purpose. Anthem also reminds policyholders to get regular checkups, and provides information about how to manage long-term medical problems.
Anthem BCBS Health Insurance Products
Individual and Family Plans
- BluePreferred PPO for Individuals – Offers comprehensive health coverage and does not require referrals. Services include in- and out-patient care, vision benefits, and prescription drugs, among others.
- Tonik Health Plans – Plans targeted toward young, healthy, active individuals. Plans are low-cost and include vision, pharmacy, dental, preventative, and hospital benefits.
- RightPlan PPO 40 – Low-premium, deductible-free plans with a $40 copay for within-network office visits. Optional prescription coverage is offered.
Anthem offers four health plans through employers. Employees’ funds may come from the policyholders themselves, or from their employer.
- Lumenos HRA – A plan funded by your employer. Unused funds can rollover each year, and you are not restricted to in-network physicians.
- Lumenos HSA – You contribute to your own plan, but your employer may do so as well.
- Lumenos HIA – The Health Incentives Account gains funds from your participation in Anthem’s Healthy Rewards Program. Reward money can be used to pay for medical expenses and prescriptions.
- Lumenos HIA Plus – Similar to Lumenos HIA, this plan is funded by an annual plan allocation in addition to participation in Healthy Rewards.
- Medicare Supplement Plans – Anthem offers a wide variety of benefits, such as nursing care and preventative medical care, which your Medicare may not provide.
- Medicare Part D Plans – The Blue MedicareRx plans provide prescription benefits to those who are eligible.
Contact Anthem BCBS
120 Monument Circle
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Anthem BCBS Company Ratings
A.M. Best: A
Standard & Poor’s: A+
Ratings as of March 2011.