No matter what your situation is, knowing your options is paramount to finding a health insurance plan that is best for you or your family. We here at health-insurance.org hope that this guide will help you to figure out what kind of health care plan is right for you so that you and your family can have the care they deserve. Once you know what you are looking for, we can help to set you up with a health care provider who can help you the rest of the way.
How to Find Quality Health Insurance Coverage in Kansas (KS)
When you’re shopping for health insurance coverage in Kansas, you’ll want to keep your own needs in mind and determine which company is best able to meet those needs. Some things to remember:
- Make a list of several quality insurance companies doing business in Kansas
- Research those companies – paying special attention to longevity and quality of coverage
- Call each company for detailed quotes
- Disclose to the company any preexisting condition(s) you may have
- Compare quotes, making sure they are for equal coverage
Kansas Options for Family Health Insurance (KS)
In order to find the best health care plan for your family, you first need to evaluate your options and specific needs. If you or your spouse has a health care plan through an employer, than the group health care option they offer would most likely be your best plan.
Group health care policies are inexpensive and convenient, and will get you quality care. These kinds of plans include HMOs, PPOs, and sometimes POSs or HSAs. Generally your employer will offer you an HMO or PPO plan, and you will need to consider your financial situation and medical preferences to determine which type of plan will be the best for your family. Group health plans cannot deny or charge more for your policies based on one’s health status, so if someone in your family has a pre-existing condition, group health plans are pretty much the way to go if you can.
Otherwise, an individual health plan can get you the care you need, though at a higher cost. Individual health plans can be attained through private insurance carriers, and they do have the ability to turn you down or charge higher premiums based on your health status so make sure you
Finding Individual Health Insurance in Kansas (KS)
As an individual seeking a health insurance plan, you have two options; a group health options through your employer or an individual health care plan. Group health insurance plans are the most easily accessible and least expensive, but you must be offered a group health plan through a company or organization. These group plans generally offer either an HMO or PPO option, but could also be a POS or HSA. Your employer will give you the option to choose which plan suits you well.
If you are unable to gain access to a group health plan, then unless you have a pre-existing condition, getting accepted under an individual health care policy should not be too difficult. There are a number of different private insurance carriers in Kansas which we can match you up with to get you covered.
Kansas State Health Care Options (KS)
The state of Kansas has developed a number of programs which can help you gain access to health insurance if you are having difficulty accessing a plan which will accept you.
- Kansas Health Insurance Association (KHIA), which can provide you with health insurance if you have lived in Kansas for at least 6 months and can demonstrate proof of uninsurability.
- Medicaid is another program that helps to provide health coverage to some of Kansas’ low-income residents.
- HealthWave is a state-designed program which aids in providing health coverage to low-income children who are under the age of 19, not eligible for Medicaid and have limited or no health insurance.
Insurance Challenges in Kansas (KS)
The Kansas Department of Insurance partners with Kansas state government and the insurance industry to provide information to consumers seeking health insurance. The Department of Insurance also works to protect consumers from fraud. When shopping for insurance, be wary of promises of coverage of preexisting conditions for much less than you would expect to pay. Also be sure to check out the coverage with the Kansas Department of Insurance before you purchase your policy.
Health Insurance Providers in Kansas (KS)
- American Medical Security
- BlueCross BlueShield of Kansas
- BlueCross BlueShield of Kansas City (Johnson and Wyandotte counties)
- Security Life